Pause

Life rarely seems to pause for anything.

Unfortunately the lack of pause means a lack of writing, at least that's what it means for me. A year after the completion of my last book - Cast Down - and I still haven't finished the sequel that I genuinely thought I'd have finished within a month or two.

We've moved yet again, in case I hadn't mentioned it. Four times in three years. In September of 2013 we moved from a long time residence in East Haven, CT to Blowing Rock, NC. The winter was just too much for us. Temperatures with wind chills of 30 degrees below zero were not what we were looking for when we moved South, so we came down off the mountain to the city of Gastonia, near Charlotte. We didn't realize when we signed the lease that we were living in the 'hood. The gunshots at night, the drug dealers, the crime... it was an interesting year and we rode out the lease but then we had to go. Our next stop was a pretty little mobile home park in King's Mountain where Marty and I formed a lot of attachments. He started working for the park owner (who owns ten other parks as well), doing the remodeling of available units. I even picked up some work in the parks doing the cleaning in between tenants. I won't go into any of the adventures right now, but I will say I've learned a lot and haven't had a boring day since I started. After about a year in our Kings Mountain home I spotted a vacant trailer that was in complete shambles - floors falling in, the front door fell off, a total 1978 nightmare of dark paneling and rotten walls. I fell in love with it. So, for three months Marty took time on his days off, gutted and remodeled the place for us. It's much bigger than our first place and in a park where we have more land, a better view and more space to spread out in. My bathroom is as big as (if not bigger than) most master bedrooms, and I have a beautiful garden tub to soak at the end of long days. We moved in back in May and we're staying put.

Coda, my ten year old black lab (and best friend) had a large growth removed from his foot last month. He's doing just fine. Jack the Jerk, our elderly black lab mix rescue dog is also doing well. He occasionally pees on people's legs so we don't take him visiting much but he's fine.

I got baptized at our church (Shelby Seventh Day Adventist) last October and Marty followed suit in April of this year. He quit drinking, which is a huge blessing.  So, life is good, it's just that I feel like I haven't been able to really breathe these last twelve months and I'm sincerely itching to get back to writing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections on a Marriage - 7 years in...

We're All Haunted

Chapter 11 - Diagnosis: Liabetes